Tuesday, May 24, 2011

ai weiwei model


ai weiwei modelOne of Ai Weiwei’s better known works is “Study of Perspective,” a series of first-person photographs in which the artist gives the finger to various landmarks around the world, including the Forbidden City. A Cuban artist recently made a similar gesture, projecting a massive portrait of Mr. Ai along the side of the Chinese consulate building in New York CitThe artist, Geandy Pavon, said he did it to protest the detention of Mr. Ai, an outspoken critic of the Chinese government who has been detained for more than a month on charges of “economic crimes.“I come from a totalitarian regime and I had to leave my country because of my political views,” Mr. Pavon told Kyle Chayka of the art blog Hyperallergic in an interview Monday. “I didn’t go to jail, but I was forced to leave my country. So in a sense, I’m also a victim of the force imposed on society by a dictatorship.The image Mr. Pavon projected on the consulate building consisted of a portrait of Mr. Ai reflected onto a pool of sunflower-seed oil—a likely reference to Mr. Ai’s recent “Sunflower Seeds” installation at London’s Tate ModernMr. Pavon decided not to tip off the press to his plans ahead of time, he told Hyperallergic, preferring to film the process and broadcast it himself on YouTube:
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment